It has been widely acknowledged that the inclusion of visual arts in the public eye adds dimension, depth and character to a community, inspires young minds, reinforces a local identity to which citizens can relate and take pride in and generally adds to the beauty and quality of life.
Public art can make a unique contribution to the life of a city by sensitively and creatively manipulating a man-made environment in places where city inhabitants, employees and visitors congregate, pass through or use on a daily basis.
The City of Laguna Beach declares that in the interest of the public health, morals, safety and welfare, it is the policy of the city to expand the opportunities for its citizens to experience public art and other projects resulting from the creative expression of its visual artists in public places throughout the city. The City further recognizes the substantial economic benefits to be gained through aesthetic enhancement of its public spaces.
Goals of Art in Public Places, Public Art and Murals
- To create diverse art of the highest quality.
- Installations that will, over decades, reflect the city itself and its citizens and improve the quality of life.
- To be a source of pride to all Laguna Beach residents.
Procedures: Art in Public Places (Requirement of the Municipal Code):
- Complete Art in Public Places application (A) and return to Community Development.
- Commission Application (B) and return to Community Services.
Public Art / Murals
- Complete Arts Commission Application and return to Community Services.
- Upon Arts Commission Approval complete Design Review Board Application (C) and return with appropriate materials and fee to Community Development.
All applications requesting the installation of art shall be accompanied by:
a site plan showing the lot and building dimensions and showing proposed location of artwork, scaled drawing, colored drawing, color photograph of the proposed installation location, maintenance schedule, landscaping and site preparation if applicable.