The purpose is to promote the public health, safety, and general welfare by providing for the identification, protection, enhancement, perpetuation, and use of improvements, buildings and their settings, structures, objects, monuments, sites, places, and areas within the city that reflect special elements of the city’s architectural, artistic, cultural, engineering, aesthetic, historical, political, social, and other heritage to achieve the following objectives:
- Safeguard the heritage of the city by providing for the protection of historic resources representing significant elements of its history.
- Enhance the visual character of the city by encouraging the preservation of those buildings which make a significant contribution to the older neighborhoods of the city particularly to the designated historic register structures reflecting.
- Unique and established architectural traditions; Foster public appreciation of and civic pride in the beauty of the city and the accomplishments of its past.
- Strengthen the economy of the city by protecting and enhancing the city’s attractions to residents, tourists and visitors.
- Promote the private and public use of historic resources for the education, prosperity and general welfare of the people.
- Stabilize and improve property values within the city.
Additional Historic Preservation Links:
Historic Preservation Ordinance Task Force (HPOTF)
Historic Resources Inventory Update
Mills Act/Historic Register
1981 Historic Inventory
Historic Preservation Program Update - ND
For any additional information relating to historic preservation please email Martina Caron.