In the early 1900's the residents of the small town and village of Laguna Beach, which was already becoming a popular beach resort, realized the need to protect their community from fire. As a result, in 1919 the first Volunteer Fire Department was created and headed by Laguna's first Fire Chief, Anthony Derkum, who served from 1919 to 1924. At that time there were 21 volunteer firemen who stepped up and answered the call. The Department first fire engine was a Ford Model "T" which was equipped with two 30 gallon water tanks and 100' feet of hose. In 1924 the first fire station was established in the downtown district, next to what is the current Laguna Beach County Water District site.